6.26.2009

The Purpose of LiteracyEcoTeacher.blogspot.com

When I student taught, the schools I went to used an unbelievable amount of paper in a day, much of it being copied into "dittos" and a lot ending up in the recycling bin anyway. Since then, I'm constantly looking for ways to teach, and assess students, without using paper, or at least very much of it. For our illustrator project, I chose to research Jan Brett and write about her body of work. Jan Brett has an amazing website with hundreds of links and activities, many of which are broken down into usage based on the curriculum. It's fabulous (www.janbrett.com).
Looking through her activities, I was thinking how it would be great to pick and choose which ones I would want my students to do based on the story we were reading and have them in one place where they could easily find them. With that thought, and my constant quest to save the trees, I started writing this blog.
This is based on the ELA curriculum of a third grade class in New York State. Since I am only substitute teaching and do not have my own classroom webpage, this seemed like the perfect fit. The best part is...it's easy! This isn't quite a blog because I'm not journaling, but it's a way that my students could access all of the websites and information I have compiled using both Jan Brett's website, and many other sites across the internet. Not only would it be great in the classroom, but it's something my students can access from anywhere. All of the activities on here are educational and most don't require one sheet of paper. There is a link to the Scholastic, Inc. website with a full list of books authored and illustrated by Jan Brett at the bottom of the page. It provides information on the reading levels appropriate for each book on scales like Lexile and DRA level- very useful! Take some time to explore! I hope this provides you with ideas for a project of your own! Happy Reading and Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment